Thursday, January 7, 2010

Successes & Failures of Reconstruction


Usually thought of as a positive era, the Reconstruction period held both pro's and con's.
Successes
The positive successes brought from the Reconstruction were:
1. The reunification of the Union. This seperation lasted 4 years, and Reconstruction had brought them together and restored what we know as the United States.
2. Expansion of the South & North's economy. The Reconstruction brought many offers to the South as well as to the North since it proposed to collaborate in order to make a better place.
3. More
laws. These protected the rights of the newly freedmen, and accpeted them as men, having the right to vote, and speak. (More on #8)
4. Freedmen's Bureau and many other smaller associations were formed. These helped the ones in need to not be homeless and completely poor.
5. Education was provided to everyone, and it was forced in the South.
6. Freedom.
7. The Compromise of 1877, that stated that the Republicans could make on of their's a leader, as long as they took care of building the South:
However, the Presidential Election of 1876 marked a gre
at sour turn. The Republican Hayes lost thepopular vote against Democrat Tilden. Tilden had the support of the solid South, a group of dominating southerners taking part in the Democratic Party. This said, the electoral vote was very debated. Hayes won according to Forida, Louisiana & South Carolina, who were then under Republican control. The Democrats however had said that Tilden won in those states. Congress then
made a commission to solve this election, and since there were more Republicans than Democrats, they called Hayes as the President.
Democrats had the enough strength to call off this commission, and in 1877, the Compromise of 1877 was passed, where Democrats agreed to give Hayes the victory though he hadn't completely won. The compromise was that the Hayes would then have to support rebuilding levees aside the Mississippi, dismissing the troops in the south, and to help rebuild southern railroads. And this was obviously a pro, letting the south be free.
8. Enforcement Act of 1870 "banned the use of terror, force, or briebery to prevent people from voting because of their race" reinforced the Thirteenth Ammendement which gave slaves freedom.

Failures
To transition from the postivite to negative consequences of the Reconstruction, one should connect who the Enforcement Act was talking to: the Klansmen.
1. Ku Klux Klan was a group of people who wore robes and masks and pretended to be the ghosts of the Confederate soldiers. They were scared of changes, and the rising rights of the African Americans, who
they wanted to be labourors and slaves. So, they attacked them, usually by putting their homes on fire. There were many kinds of racist attitudes towards African Americans, and not only in the South, but in the North aswell.
2. Poverty was still a global issue in the South, where man
y white southerners had lost their lands, and the blacks were newly freed, and therefore, had no economic opportunities. This caused them to be trapped in a poverty cycle. African Americans had little job offerings.
3. Industrilization in the South was too slow.
4. Sharecropping & tenant farming were bad because they usually brought more complications like who would get what, and wasn't fair to the laborors on the land.
5. Corruption happened when the people would pay taxes, and that money was used in the
wrong way. Like, just a lit
tle percent would be used seriously, and the rest would go in the
government's pockets.
6. Blackcodes were used at the beggining of the Reconstruction, where as freedmen, the blacks still had pressure about things like when to meet with friends. They were restrictions on the w
ay
a freedman should live.
7. Taxes were elevated in order to rebuild the South.
8. Jim Crow Laws which supported discrimination & racial segregation.


82 comments:

  1. Im writing an essay about this topic, all of this information came of great use to me

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANK YOU. you may have just earned me a 100% on my APUSH exam. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This informatiion came of great help to me as well im writing as essay great info !

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay, way to go specific websites!

    ReplyDelete
  5. great website ,right to the point!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You just made part of my Research Paper MUCH easier! You're amazing..

    ReplyDelete
  7. thak you, thank you this help me so much with my final :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I Love the above essay but, scared to use. I was told them there is a scanner that would let the teacher know that the essay was written by someone else.

    I don't want to copy word for word, but would like to use some of it. How do I do this without getting into trouble?

    ANYONE?????

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good information! This greatly helped me study for an exam in my American History Course. The information was specific, yet did not get bogged down in too many details. Great help, thank you! :-)
    --Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow this info is great and really helps alot i would recomend it i am in high school and they want exact info and this is the place to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you very very much today i have quiz from Reconstruction I did not get anything but now I a little bit got it ! I hope it will help me a lot today and in my final !!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much! Writing an essay for a test and this really helped me organize my thoughts :) Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks! Helped a lot. Right to the point!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. shanks this came to use

    ReplyDelete
  15. it helped me alot.

    ReplyDelete
  16. this just saved my life! my AP US History teacher is have us wrote a full AP essay in 30min tomorrow and all we can bring in is one page! this saved me hours! thank you sooooo much!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You. Are. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Absolutely splendid! Thanks so much for writing this, i finished my reconstruction essay in like 20 minutes! <3

    ReplyDelete
  19. thanks so much, now I can be sure I get full credit on my APUSH packet! Great info!

    ReplyDelete
  20. i take online school. do you think that they will find out is i copy and pasted this?

    ReplyDelete
  21. thanks made my day (:

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you very much for the information. It includes everything I read but perfectly summed up.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks so much, will use some of your points for my essay test tomorrow. Great simplified information!

    ReplyDelete
  24. just got me an A on my apush essay :) thanks so much

    ReplyDelete
  25. THANK U SOO MUCH I GOT AN 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. this was amazingly accurate!im only in 7th but this helped alot!

    ReplyDelete
  27. great help on midterms!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great site! Many Thanks :D

    ReplyDelete
  29. nice info thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great Information...Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks for INFO it helps me a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I was just thinking to myself - WOW COULD A GUY ASK FOR A BETTER SOURCE ON THIS?

    ReplyDelete
  33. i didnt really understand anything on this topid when i was reading it in my book, but reading how you laid everything out and numbered it made it so much easier to understand. thank you so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. thank you so much for this information!!
    It was big help for me with my homework, it was very straightforward, exactly what I was looking for!

    ReplyDelete
  35. im gonna get an a! great info lots of help

    ReplyDelete
  36. helped me alot!!!!! thnx!!!! god bless you :]

    ReplyDelete
  37. great for a paper

    ReplyDelete
  38. This was very helpful thanx !!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. This Website is so awesome.! Thanks.!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thank You, This is Great!

    ReplyDelete
  41. OMG this is great. I need this to study(quiz)and my homework

    ReplyDelete
  42. - how ever took thier time to write this ijust want to let you know i love you ! <3.<3 you saved my fuckn life !! bless you :****

    ReplyDelete
  43. This website is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Great help to those who cant wrap their heads around History.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I LOVE YOU MORE THAN ANYTHING IN THIS UNIVERSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!KUDOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;0 SO HELPFUL SO HELPFUL SO HELPFUL THNX "JEHANNE-CAS.BLOGSPOT.COM" YOU RLLY SAVED MY TUSH THIS TYME!! YOU DESERVE A NOBEL PEACE PRIZE I MEAN C'MON. THANK YOU THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART. YOU HAVE EARNED A PLACE IN MY WILL. I LOVE YOU. NO IM NOT EVEN JOKING IM IN LOVE WITH YOU. TTYL -QUINCY

    ReplyDelete
  46. you saved me from going into a deep depression. i love you!!!! Thanks for you now that im done with my essay and i can hang with the girls tonite. GNO LETS GO LADIES!!!!

    love, debbie

    ReplyDelete
  47. Fantastic!
    Interesting a Morrocan is schooling Americans on the history of their country! Every time i encounter someone from outside the U.S. there is so much intelligence and knowledge shown and i am impressed without exception. I am going to bookmark your blog and next time i have to write a paper i'll see if you've writen anything on the subject!
    Thanks loads!
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  48. THIS INFO WAS MORE INFORMATIVE THAN MY HISTORY BOOK THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME PUTTING THIS TOGETHER FOR US AND BEING SO KNOWLEDGEABLE

    ReplyDelete
  49. Hahhaha now you know if you ever need to get a date, just blog about history. And everyone will "love you", as shown by these comments. But seriously, I love you. Calll me ;D

    ReplyDelete
  50. thank you for helping me with my s.s essay!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  51. Thanks so much for this website! It helped me SO much on this horrid essay I'm writing for my history class! Woo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  52. thanks ALOT this is SO useful for the essay im writing. FAN-FLIPIN-TASTIC! Good job to whoever made this web site and this post this helps me a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  53. This information helped me write my essay so thank you

    ReplyDelete
  54. This was truly really helpful...It helped me prepare for my test...Very good information and facts/data!

    ReplyDelete
  55. Thank you for your help on this, this information was very useful and on point!

    ReplyDelete
  56. i am going to copy this

    ReplyDelete
  57. real talk this website is ok

    ReplyDelete
  58. my teacher makeing me read this D;

    ReplyDelete
  59. my teacher made us read this and was so damn boring but fun

    ReplyDelete
  60. was freakin awsome i love u i would eat you all day

    ReplyDelete
  61. God bless your soul

    ReplyDelete
  62. This is exactly the topic of my essay! Thank you:)

    ReplyDelete
  63. thanks this helped very much

    ReplyDelete
  64. helped alot. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  65. A big help, thanks very much :)

    ReplyDelete

Profile